4.27.2005

TA

Well, I am done TAing for some time now. It was an interesting year and one that for sure changed my life. I am positive I would be going to GE in two months if it weren't for this experiance. For the sake of posterity I thought I would write down some of the lessons I have learned.

Professorship=Hard decisions
More then I think other teaching disiplans college requires you to teach towards the top students. There is no true obligation to ensure that everyone is up to an acceptable level. In fact, some might say it is there duty to "seperate the wheat from the chaff". To force yourself to ignore the effect you are having on the bottom half of the class *shaking head* I don't know if I have the balls.

Caring=Half the battle
I am by no means a good teacher. I make mistakes, have to explain stuff three times, and quite often don't know what I am doing. But I have the feeling that just having someone "on their side" encourages them to meet me the rest of the way.

Helping=Happyness
I am tearing up just thinking about it but I don't think there is anything I have done in my life that has made me as content as holding office hours. I couldn't wait to leave case last year. I liked it yes, but still could not wait to move on. Now, I don't want to leave. That says alot to me.

I don't think I will ever forget the people I have met and the times I have had. I don't know if the next stage will end in me being a professor but no matter what I will be better for the experiance. Awesome.

2 Comments:

Blogger bschneider5 said...

Not sure what TA is?!Nice blog!!! Bradsblog

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Craig -

Although you don't feel like you are a good teacher, you have the makings of an awesome one because of that key: you care. You want to help your students, and you put effort into improving where you lack. After accumulating experience, you could definitely be one of those teachers people call life-changers.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home