6.26.2005

Boston: Day 2

Up and atom at a bright and early 10:30 am! Breakfast of quesadias then off to Harvard Square to see Renee! We left early so that we could go see some of the icecream shops and stuff in the area. There was this Curious George Goes to Warington ( or something like that) that had the greatest collection of childrens books I have ever seen.

Apparently Boston "Takes it's ice cream seriously." To test this fact we went to what is considered the best ice cream shop in the city, Harroll's. Oh. My. God. I tried their Sweet Cream and a Malt Shake and both made my heart skip a beat.

It struck me while walking around Harvard Square that people in Boston seem to walk differently then anywhere I have been in the Midwest. It just seems normal to walk here. I get the impression that if you walk in Cleveland it is with your head down lest you make eye contact with anyone in the cars passing by. There must be some terrible reason you don't have a car because seriously... who would walk if they didn't have to!!! But that isn't the case here. People who drive cars are the anomaly.

I met Renee at Au Bon Pain, a good though overpriced sandwich shop. It was really nice to see her again. Turns out, she loves Boston too! And her job! Good deal all around. We walked around and chatted and after her beauty shop appointment we took the subway back to her apartment. Her mom is staying with her for the month and she made some excellent rice pudding which I had my share of! Her apartment, while beastly expensive, is probably the best apartment I have ever seen. I eventually was dropped off at the subway station and made my way back to the North End and Rebecca and James' place. It rained while I was on the subway but stopped when I got out at North Station. The rain really cooled everything down though so the walk was pretty pleasent.

Dinner of Pesto pasta with chicken, seriously only my second time having it but both have been heaven.

After dinner we escaped the heat of the apartment (seriously, we just boiled noodles and used the broiler in the oven to toast garlic bread. But with a place that small... ) and took a walk down ot the harbor. Eventually we passed by the aquarium and I got to see some seals. I guess as a teaser the aquarium keeps part of the seal exhibit outdoors so that people passing by have something to look at. It mostly just made me sad though. One seal kept swimming in circles around the parimeter of the tank while most of the other seals were occupied with similarly repetitive actions, though less obviously so.

We walked by several restaurants and eventually curled our way through the outskirts of downtown. Again, I absolutely love this city. At least I love the parts that I have seen so far. There has to be some downside to this place, I just havn't found it yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home